"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare."

Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Unique Bed & Breakfast in Hannibal, Missouri

I've already paid a visit to the Twain House in Hartford, but one of these days, I need to get myself out to Hannibal, Missouri. Obviously, this is because it was the hometown of one Samuel Langhorne Clemens. And I know if I ever make it there, I'll be staying at the historic Garth House bed & breakfast.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has a profile today of this historic B&B, voted number-one in the entire Show-Me State. Once owned by John Garth, schoolmate of Clemens and the purported inspiration for Tom Sawyer, the building sheltered Twain during his 1882 and 1902 returns to Hannibal. In fact, a letter from Twain commemorating his childhood friend, who had passed in '02, now hangs framed in the second-floor hallway.

If you're inclined to stay there, first of all, I envy you. Second of all, pay a visit to www.garthmansion.com.

No comments: